Pondering the Future

May 15, 2009 at 3:50 pm 6 comments

Super Husband thinks I spend too much time pondering the future, but I like to be able to have an idea of what to expect in the coming months. This is one of the reasons that IF has been hard on me, while he thinks I am stressing too much.

Well, with the idea that IVF might be in our future, it is giving me WAY too much to have to ponder. Not only do I ponder when a baby might enter our lives, but also when would the least intrusive time to do IVF be?

So, I would like to pose a question to the group and open up the floor to some advice (or assvice, I am game for either!)  Please chime in regardless of weather or not you have done IVF, but I am especially looking for input from folks who have been down that road and know what the landmarks are like.

I have a few times coming up in the next 6 months that would be a “good” time for me to do IVF… what would you think the best circumstances would be?

Option #1  The first two weeks in August I will be on a break from school and work, but it is only for two weeks…. after those two weeks are over I will be starting a new and rather grueling semester. (I signed up for tough classes because I figured I wouldn’t be worrying about IF treatments, hahahaha!)  I have a personal dislike for missing too much school, especially when classes are hard.

Option #2  Having a baby in June  would be ideal, because I could take the summer off from school and still be covered under my student insurance policy. If I have to take a regular semester off then I will loose my insurance and will need to try and qualify for medic.aid.  So that would mean IVF in early September, during school. Of course, it might not work on the first try, but there is no reason to believe it would not.

Option #3  Winter break IVF… I have a whole month off, can achieve maximum relaxation and just focus on the task at hand. However, success would mean taking the following fall semester off of school and I would not be covered under my student policy.

(Let me say as an aside, that I think that Medic.aid has better coverage then my student policy, but there will be the added stress of needing to qualify, which shouldn’t be that hard but you never know… and I will have one major pre-existing condition!)



Entry filed under: life.

She Exists! Scheduling Conflicts

6 Comments Add your own

  • 1. Missy  |  May 15, 2009 at 5:49 pm

    Depends on how much you are willing to wait. If you are at the emotional space where you don’t want to wait anymore, I’d go for the break during August. Otherwise I would wait for winter break. But first I would confirm with the IVF dr that they would be available during that time. Having a full month off would be great given all the monitoring and bedrest you need for IVF.

  • 2. B.  |  May 16, 2009 at 6:17 am

    Hi! I’ve been through about half of an IVF- we started off intending to do OI/IUI, but were converted on CD8 to IVF due to my “exuberant response” to Gonal-F. So, I am no expert on the process, but I can tell you what I learned from my small dose of IVFness.

    Your August option is tempting in that it’s the soonest of those you listed. I hate to be negative, and there’s no reason to believe your first IVF won’t succeed, but it would really suck to have waited for the “perfect” time and then not succeed. When will the next “perfect” opportunity appear? On the other hand, two weeks is a very small window of time. You might be able to manipulate the timing with lots of hormones, but what affect would that have on the overall success of the cycle? What about your stress level as you try to time everything just right?
    It really does take nearly two weeks to get through the meat of IVF. There’s a week of almost-daily monitoring, with several blood draws and ultrasounds, followed by the trigger, a day “off,” and then the ER/ET. My experience included monitoring on CD3 & 6-9 with ER on CD11 and ET on CD14.

    For that reason, your winter break might be less stressful, although you’d still have to consider the timing of it all. You’d not want the real work of an IVF cycle to start three days before your break ends. As for having a due date just after the end of the school year- that sounds perfect, too, but then you’d be cycling in September which wouldn’t cooperate with your work schedule.

    Me, I’ve given up on timing and planning (aside from imagining due dates and pregnancy announcement scenarios). I’m barrelling through cycles as fast as the RE will allow, in a race against my biological clock but also because I figure at this point, it’ll happen when it happens and my preferences have no influence over when that will be.

    Good luck! Whatever decision you make will be right for YOU.

  • 3. s.e.  |  May 16, 2009 at 7:50 am

    I did IVF 3 times. One fresh, one frozen, and then the last fresh worked.

    I work in a school and understand the whole stress around planning thing. I started my first round in what was supposed to be the summer. Half way through my clinic changed it’s scheduling which put me into the first two weeks of school. Not ideal but it worked.

    I then attempted to plan my frozen cycle around Christmas break. I really ended up with retrieval in January.

    For our last fresh cycle, I did not want to wait until summer as I originally planned. I was hoping for spring break this time but ended up getting at least transfer on a weekend.

    I definitely understand the need to look ahead and plan it out as much as possible. I tried really hard to be in control and in the end I realized my doctor had it all. It was frustrating along the way but it really all worked out. See if your clinic has early morning monitoring. That saved me. Good luck to you- it is so exciting you are able to move forward!

  • 4. womb for improvement  |  May 18, 2009 at 3:42 pm

    Me? I’d do it as soon as I had a chance. Like the others I don’t want to sound pessimistic but if (and only if) it doesn’t work you still have another good time time to try in September.

  • 5. annacyclopedia  |  May 19, 2009 at 3:58 pm

    I won’t pretend to have useful advice on your timing questions, but I am thinking of you and wishing you a perfect and easy unfolding of this next part of your journey.

  • 6. Mom to be  |  May 24, 2009 at 4:18 am

    Actually, I have no clue. You know I’ve been trying to plann my first ICSI very cautiously? Took my schedule and tossed out a whole bunch of prior engagements and professional deadlines. This was in April. Then after numerous hormone injections they stopped the ICSI procedure due to only 2 follicles. I was diagnosed with ‘low on eggs supply’. But since the clinic and meidcal insurance already spent tons of money, I had to continue immeidately with a whole other ICSI procedure so that it would appear I was still in my first ICSI attempt. To make this story short: remeber my schedule and postponing all the appointments? Well now I am in the middel of the most busy month of the year AND involved in ICSI treatment ! My worst nightmare. So do keep in mind when you choose an option that you cannot control the outcome nor the period of the time necessary for the IVF thing.
    My advise would be to NOT live your life planning ahead for a baby. Because if you do that you might aswell stop living. At a given point it stops you from booking vacations, from making a carreer, … It’s not that I want ot be negative here, but I’ve for example changed jobs 2 times because I wanted a calmer life for ‘IF I GOT PREGNANT’. But I missed out on whole lot of oppurtunities and I’m a bit regretful for it. So now I try to roughly estimate when to do an ICSI, but at the same time I do not PAUSE my whole life. I recenty started a new sport that I didn’t dare cause what’s the use if you can get pregnant any moment? It’s been 2 years for us, 2 years of waiting of not doing the things we wanted ‘just in case’. And nothing helped, we’re still waiting and we still could put our lives on hold, but now we really try to plan fun things even though we might would have to do annulations because of a pregnancy.. So what, if it happens the baby will be our priority and so what if we loose money due to annulations. It’s because of a miracle.. We’ll work it out when and if it happens..


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Trackback this post  |  Subscribe to the comments via RSS Feed


After 5 IUIs, 2 IVFs, and the diagnosis of diminished ovarian reserve at the ripe old age of 29, I am now looking for information on embryo donation and adoption. I'm taking a break from blogging but will return when our path out of the world of IF becomes more clear.

%d bloggers like this: